The Shellback Tactical Defender Active Shooter Armor Kit with Level IV 4S17 Plates is your complete armored kit answer to being prepared for an active shooter situation. This complete kit is packed with features - Fully adjustable lightweight carrier, 2 Shellback Prevail Series Model 4S17 level IV armor plates and a convenient carry bag for storage. Stay protected and order your Shellback Tactical Defender Active Shooter Armor Kit with Level IV 4S17 Plates today!
THIS IS A ITAR CONTROLLED ITEM AND WILL ONLY BE SHIPPED TO US ADDRESSES.
DUE TO THE NATURE OF THE ITEM - ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
Posted by Andy on Jun 17th 2020
I ordered this knowing it was a budget option, and so my expectations were not incredibly high. I already have an exceptional plate carrier setup I use for training (Firstspear AAC with Hesko Level IV plates), so this is something to hand off and equip another person quickly.
I can imagine this setup is perfect for three situations:
1. A budget-friendly option for those who realize in a gunfight that armor is definitely better than no armor.
2. A cheap, quick-deploy, minimalist setup you can leave in your car and not cry about if it's stolen or damaged.
3. A cheap way to equip an unprepared or untrained buddy that requires no training or explanation.
What I like:
- Shellback shipped immediately and I had my plates and carrier within the week. Excellent customer service and fulfillment.
- Everything was clearly new and carefully packed. They included a couple of patches as freebies.
- Plates feel solid and have a nice durable coating. Definitely heavier than I'm used to, but they don't feel inadequate.
- The bag for the carrier is small and discreet. If left in the back of my car, it wouldn't draw attention.
- Carrier included more padding than I expected. Shoulder pads are surprisingly comfortable.
- Most important: The carrier is STUPID SIMPLE. I could hand this to someone who has never worn armor before, and they could figure it out instantly. Lots of the higher quality carriers are designed with operators in mind, and that means donning is more complex. I've been baffled seeing people struggle to figure out the Tubes system with my FirstSpear kit. Giant buckles are perfect for complete noobs.
What I don't like:
- Lots of unraveling threads from all the Molle! The stitching on the front of the plate carrier probably had 4 feet of thread that came out while I was setting it up. I wasn't expecting something immaculate like Firstspear or Crye- but this was a disappointing display of careless assembly.
- The front pocket fit is not great. I can fit two AR PMAGS and a CAT in the front, but it's super tight and the edges of the mags catch on the carrier. But don't expect to run anything else with the provided material: AK, M14, P90, AI, and CZ Scorpion mags are all no-go. Definitely not hi-speed, low-drag!
- Stupid simplicity is this carrier's greatest asset, but also it's Achilles' Heel. The side buckles are positively enormous. At the end of a 3k run, these were digging into the front of my ribs pretty badly and I had 4-inch red marks on sides when I took my shirt off. Not a big deal if you're static, I guess.
Again, with this kit I got exactly what I expected. It's adequate body armor I can hand to an unprepared friend if needed. For the price and simplicity, I feel this was a worthwhile purchase.
Posted by Travis on May 29th 2020
So I’m not a very large guy, I’m 5’10 and 175lbs but I found that this “one size fits most” barely covers the vitals. The plate carrier only goes down to just above my belly button and it’s not as wide in the chest as I’d like it to be. But the overall construction is nice, it’s padded comfortably and surprisingly light! It is a nice product, I just wish it was a bit bigger.
Posted by Troy on Apr 28th 2020
I needed something quick and light to use for work. With this carrier all I have to do is throw it over my head and buckle it on. Straps are easily adjustable with a lot of slack if you are a bigger guy. Shoulder straps are padded and comfortable and all of the fabric that touches you breathes well so you don’t have to worry about getting too hot under it. Love the large Velcro panels for patches or name tapes. MOLLE is high quality with strong and think stitching. Drag handle Velcro’s down to the back so it doesn’t rub against your neck which doesn’t bother you until you have a carrier with this feature.
My only issues with this carrier are the kangaroo mag pouch configurations.:
1. I wish it came with a three mag pouch configuration instead of just two
2. The magazines sit a little high once placed in the pouch to were the magazines are sticking about half way out ( I have found that if you lower the kangaroo pouch farther down to were the Velcro is only half attached then this issue is some what fixed)
3. (Personal preference)
I am a right handed shooter and reload by grabbing the magazine farthest to the left first and working to the right. With this pouch configuration your magazines are on the right side and center of the chest, not a huge issue though.
Posted by Joe on Apr 7th 2020
I wanted a plate carrier and plates I could throw on real easy in a dire situation, or for just a minimalist type carrier for training etc.
This bundle literally exceeded all my expectations and I couldn't be happier. Great material and it's not heavy at all. The best part of it all was how extremely fast the ship/delivery time was. It only took 3 days to get to me. Can't get much better than that.